Wednesday, December 14, 2016

My Christmas List 2016

Ahhh, Christmas time.  The time of year that has become much less about receiving than decorating, documenting, and giving.  Nonetheless, I do have a few things on my Christmas list for this year:)  Most of them are horse-related, but a couple are not.

1. Pentax Remote Control F - I've owned a Pentax K-5 dSLR for several years.  It's a great camera and I've only begun to tap its potential.  I'm hoping that using a remote will allow me to capture some of those really low light photos that have been eluding me because of the vibration when I press the shutter release.

2. When Two Spines Align by Beth Baumert.  I've had this book on my want-to-read list for awhile.  In particular, I'd like to see how the information presented in this book matches up with what I've been learning in my Science of Motion biomechanics class.

3. Horse Gaits, Balance, and Movement by Susan Harris.  Another book that has been on my list for awhile for the same reason as the last one.  I'd like to get a different perspective on equine biomechanics to help me think through what I'm learning.

4. Whole Food for Horses by Tigger Montague.  This book just came out last month and is written by the owner of BioStarUS, a whole food supplement company that I'm interested in.  I admit to not having super high hopes for the book, because every other book on the subject has been seriously lacking in usable content that goes beyond the usual any-idiot-knows-that stuff (like feed your horse carrots and bananas and apples).  But I can't not read it, just in case it has something good in it.

5. DYMO Organizer Xpress Handheld Embossing Label Maker.  I've got to have one for my scrapbooking efforts.  I don't know how I've lived without it for so long!

6. Tredstep Deluxe Half Chaps.  I've been using these half chaps exclusively for several years.  I periodically look at the new options, but none seem to be an improvement on these.  I love the stretch leather panel on the back and they accommodate the extra bulk of Ariat Terrain boots with less of an issue than other half chaps (except for maybe the Ariat ones that are designed to go with the Terrains but that don't come in a good fit for me).  The ones I have now are ready to fall right off my leg due to numerous holes in the stitching.  I'm not sure they are the most durable product ever, but the fit is enough to justify the replacement.

Feel free to comment with the things that are on your Christmas list, just in case I missed something good!

5 comments:

  1. May Santa (or his desginee!) give you all that you wish! AND some dark chocolate!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo! I wish the same for you:)

      Delete
  2. Those are lovely half chaps! I still miss the kind with velcro tab closures cuz I felt like I was in a Battlestar Galactica uniform (original series).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been looking for books on working with horses at liberty, that give clear goals and instructions. Every you tube video I watch leaves me somewhat confused or isn't helpful at all. Any ideas? I hope Santa is good to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kara, I spent a lot of time looking for the same thing and the closest I could come was Carolyn Resnick's work. You may have come across it already, but if not, here is the link to her blog and website: https://www.carolynresnickblog.com/. I've read her book, Naked Liberty, which explains her philosophy but not specific methods. I also started her Chair Challenge, but it got a little weird and I ended up deciding that wasn't the route I wanted to go. It was very specific, though.

      The only other method I've seen that incorporates liberty work as part of the training is Straightness Training, but the liberty work is considered very advance and comes out of the training you do before as distinct from starting at liberty. The website is: http://straightnesstraining.com.

      Delete