Sunday, December 13, 2015

Just a trail ride...

I met a friend for a ride at the Shenandoah River State Park (aka Andy Guest) this morning.  My friend isn't an endurance rider and she prefers to mostly walk on trail rides, so my initial plan was to ride 5-7 miles with her and then do another 3-5 miles on my own to let Nimo do some trotting/cantering.  I can tell that he's been itching to do a more physical ride these past few weeks, but weather or footing or something else has prevented us, and I wanted to do a bit more than just a stroll today.

You can see the Shenandoah River to the left
However, the weather was a factor again.  We've been having record heat here, with temps over 70 degrees and with Nimo's full winter coat, I didn't feel comfortable asking him to do much more than the 7 miles we did today.  Even just walking, both horses came back to the trailers dripping with sweat, so I called it a day.  Nimo still definitely wanted to do more, though, so I'm hopeful the temperature will be more seasonable next weekend and maybe we can do a nice hardcore 10-12 mile conditioning ride.

In the meantime, I'm going to try to get into the Christmas spirit.  It's kind of hard to do when I have broccoli, cauliflower, and cabbage growing well in the garden, the grass is still green, and it's 70 degrees, but those Christmas presents aren't going to buy themselves!:)

3 comments:

  1. That's just crazy weather Gail! Temps over 70 degrees and the garden still producing!?!? My partner, Brad, and I chained the big diesel back up and got the horses off the mountain and made it safely to the arena today, skittered across the icy parking lot and got safely inside... I had a fabulous ride on Ranger. Nothing like the dressage work you have been doing with Nimo but we are nowhere near as advanced as that... but we did lots of wonderful cantering and I was relaxed and soft and Ranger was relaxed and soft and we even cantered a whole bunch of wonderful, relaxed ten meter circles which for us was hoooooge. Start where you are, right? I work in Idaho during the week and I came back over here early to beat the mega storm that is pounding the 2 mountain passes between home in MT and work over here in Idaho... but I downloaded some of the endurance podcasts from the "Horses in the Morning" radio show and satisfied my horsey yearings somewhat by listening to that in the car. I can't WAIT until spring in order to really start our endurance journey. In the meantime, I'm going to have to follow your journey and try to figure out what to do with our arena time this winter to set us up as best I can for spring. In the mean time, I'm living and riding and learning vicariously through you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you made it off the mountain - I can't even imagine trying to deal with that kind of treacherous situation! And yay for a great ride. It's always so motivating when things go well:) Stay safe and warm:)

      Delete
  2. 70 degrees! Nemo must be so hot! Even in Northern California we've finally hit what feels like real winter (cold and rain, keeping fingers crossed for lots more).

    I know that feeling though of when you just KNOW your horse wants to do more. I hope you can get out an have a good, tough, ride.

    ReplyDelete