Thursday, September 10, 2015

Trimming update, hind feet part 2

I know you've all been waiting with baited breath for the next installment of my posts on Nimo's feet:)  What I wanted to do was to show you what changes had occurred one week after Nimo's trim.  Instead, you'll mostly see how much my iPhone camera sucks as compared to my Pentax K-5.  I've always been unhappy with my iPhone camera, but after getting to the barn and realizing that the battery on my good camera was dead, I had little choice but to plow ahead and take photos with my iPhone.

What I've done below is match up the freshly trimmed hoof with the hoof one week post-trim to give you an idea of how Nimo's feet change during a trim cycle.

I don't see anything too exciting here - just the slight rounding of the hard edges of the bevel.
This is the only set of pictures where I think the more recent picture is the better one.  You can see that the gap between the hoof and the ground in the back quarter of the hoof appears to be gone now.  Interesting...
Nothing exciting here, except you'll notice I finally sawed off that crazy ergot!
My iPhone camera sucks.  Also, the dark area on the Week 1 hoof is just from picking some mud out.
I now have a new appreciation for the poor saps who have to photograph hooves for books.  It's impossible to get the angle the same on two photos!
As with the LH, it looks like the gap in the back quarter of the hoof has almost disappeared.
At least I got the whole hoof in the picture this time!
Again, my iPhone sucks.  I would have loved just a little bit better focus for the Week 1 picture.  And an assistant.  And maybe an alcoholic beverage, because by now I was sweating and cursing.
I'll save any big conclusions that I have until after the trim cycle is completed, but I hope these pictures give you a little bit of an idea about how Nimo's feet are changing.  After one week, there isn't a lot of excitement going on, but I think the most interesting thing I saw was how the back quarters of the hooves changed.  The gap in the quarter is not something that I intentionally do when I trim.  And it doesn't happen every time I trim either.  I'm sure more experienced trimmers will have ideas on what is going on, but I don't think it is anything for me to be concerned about.

Stay tuned for pictures two weeks post-trim!

2 comments:

  1. I've been meaning to come back to comment on this post! First of all, your comments on some of the photos were hilarious! And Nimo's feet are lovely. Interestingly, I find that my two, especially Lily, end up with relieved quarters when the weather is drier. Just today I was taking pics of her hooves and noticed this and thought of you! Only on her fronts though, not her hinds. I think they just need all the extra support they can get when it's damper out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could be right, Saiph. I'm going to try to pay more attention to the quarters and see if I can spot a correlation.

      Delete