Monday, December 1, 2014

November Ride Summary

I've been meaning to do a summary of my mileage and rides every month, but I keep forgetting.  Anyway, for the month of November, Nimo and I got a whopping 66.5 miles in (yes, I'm being just a little sarcastic).  I gave him the week off after the Fort Valley ride in October and just did some handwalking with him for a few days to make sure all of his parts were in good working order.

Because he looked really good to me, I started him back to work at the beginning of the month with 3-4 rides per week.  However, I wanted to give both of us some level of rest, so our training has been weighted more toward dressage schooling and our trail rides have been much shorter and less intense.  Our longest one was this past Saturday at Manassas Battlefield, where we put in 11.5 miles.

While I do enjoy our trail rides very much, I have to admit that I am enjoying the opportunity to not worry so much about conditioning, and getting back to the discipline of dressage has been a nice change of pace (at least for me - I'm not really sure what Nimo thinks, but he seems willing).

My plan for December is to try to do 3 dressage schooling sessions each week plus one 8-15 mile trail ride.  I'm sure Mother Nature will interfere heavily with this plan, but despite the on-again, off-again weather in November, I was able to stick to a pretty regular schedule, so I am still in the hopeful stage:)

What does everyone else do for rides over the winter months?

3 comments:

  1. It's all perspective: your 66.5 miles is higher than my monthly average, and though I didn't compete this year my mileage wouldn't be that much higher! But you're working with a big, heavy horse, so that is a whole different ball game.

    I's dark already after work, even if I get off at 4 and get to the barn, and I am not motivated. So I become a weekend warrior. If I can't ride I spend time just hanging out with the pony, or more likely hiking in the too-slippery- to-ride woods. I find some down-time in the winter is good for us both, and to push it up again in late February for April rides.

    Winter has a way of messing with all your plans (as it pours rain here right now), but good luck keeping up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My hope is that I won't always need so many miles each month to keep Nimo fit. But you're right that he needs a different set of parameters to be fit. And I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who struggles with winter motivation:)

      Delete
  2. Winter riding? I normally just don't ride lol. I'm trying to change that this year but a week of rain really makes that difficult. I'm not giving up though.

    I'm glad you're enjoying the dressage with Nimo. It's nice to change things up every once in a while. :-)

    ReplyDelete