Saturday, December 6, 2014

Nimo's New Rainsheet

If you remember, I recently discovered that Nimo doesn't really need any kind of waterproof sheet when he's out in the rain, even if the temperatures drop into the 30s.  However, I didn't know that until after I had already ordered a replacement for his now-defunct turnout sheet.

So, yesterday, Nimo's new sheet arrived.  Over the years, I have used the more budget-friendly Rider's International brand sheets and blankets from Dover Saddlery as well as the frustratingly expensive sheets and blankets by Rambo and a few in between.  The Rambo I have does seem to have the fewest tears in it, but I've never liked the lack of shoulder gussets and the higher neckline doesn't work that well with Nimo's typically higher head carriage.  And the hardware on the Rider's International sheets has been notorious for failing - Nimo has literally broken every single snap for the chest straps and sheared off a surcingle on one of them in addition to generating numerous tears.  They seem to be decent blankets, but Nimo is tough to fit and he is hard on them.  I really should learn more about blanket repair and I did buy some supplies, but I haven't had the motivation to sit down and see what I can do yet.

Anyway, I decided to try a different brand and stay on the cheap side of my budget, especially with Christmas coming up.  I've heard great things about the Schneiders brand of blankets, so I took a look at what the choices were and ended up ordering the StormShield Contour Collar Euro Extreme Turnout Sheet for $95.  I debated about getting one of the cheaper versions (I almost cried with joy when I saw a sheet for $60), but because I do plan to clip Nimo this spring, I will need something that can handle being worn almost daily for at least a couple of months, unless we have an unusually warm spring.

Here is Nimo modeling his new size 84 sheet for you:


He's actually trying to figure out how to break into his stall because he's convinced that some kind of wonderful food is waiting for him (there is - how does he know???).  I'm pretty happy with the fit, although I question the strength of the hardware because it looks like a less expensive metal (i.e. not stainless steel).  Although it can be hard to judge fit and durability until he wears it for awhile.

However, Nimo has been on his best blanket behavior so far this year and has not yet repeated last fall's incident which also resulted in the loss of his current (at the time) rainsheet.  I realize it looks like an animal carcass, but it once was a Rhino sheet.  He managed to separate all three layers (the inner liner, some kind of membrane, and the outer layer) AND get it off himself and stomp it in the mud.


So I'll definitely report back later next year about how the Schneiders sheet worked out and whether it either loses it's waterproof quality or meets the same fate as last year's sheet.

10 comments:

  1. My $60-70 Schneider sheets have held up great, my oldest one is just now starting to rip and it's been 5 years and I'm pretty sure the mini horse helped it rip..I'm going to be ordering another Schneider's rain sheet to add into the rotation with this winter suddenly promising to be an actual winter, I like the look of Nemo's!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great - another satisfied customer!

      Delete
  2. *Nimo's (oops! fishy typo lol)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you'll enjoy these if you haven't seen them already.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEcOkMyTSio

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBCaMi_Dvjs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Theses are the people-blanketing videos from Smartpak, right? I LOVE them!

      Delete
    2. Haha, yeah. I first saw them this morning. Definitely amusing!

      Delete
  4. He looks handsome in it!!! I hope he doesn't kill it as thoroughly as he did that other one lol. I had to laugh at the picture of the blanket in the mud.. it really does look like a carcass. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have the BEST review on this sheet and you *are* supposed to laugh:
    You know the day I got trampled? The sheet Gracie was wearing that got dragged at a mad gallop across 4 acres of grass, mud and rocks was this SAME sheet. (Different color and size of course, but same model.) It survived. Not even a snag on it. It has my vote of indestructibilty. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! At least your crappy day didn't end with the destruction of the blanket too!:)

      Delete