Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Bareback Milestone: Trotting

You may remember my post from earlier this month when I wrote about my new bareback pad. I had been meaning to fit in a bareback ride each week, but I haven't had a chance to try it again until today.

We got more rain yesterday and constant mist today, so the arena was pretty sloppy. I didn't feel like trying to work Nimo too hard in such crappy footing, but I did want to do something. So I got the bareback pad out, rigged up my super special mounting block, and hopped on.

I was surprised to find that I felt a lot more comfortable than I did the first time, and after walking around for awhile and then working on leg yielding and serpentines at the walk, I felt brave enough to give the trot a try. Nimo was pretty hesitant to trot at first - I'm sure he was reading my own insecurity - but I got him going in a slower trot and it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. In fact, we worked on trot several times, and each time felt better.

I'm definitely warming up to the idea of riding bareback and I'm pleased with Nimo's reaction. He didn't act like an idiot at all - even when the two mares in the field next to the arena started racing around like lunatics. So, I'm hopeful there will be more bareback milestones in our future:)

2 comments:

  1. YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. Join my ranks lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!!!!!! I actually prefer to sit the trot bareback than in the saddle. :D You can just kind of melt and meld into them. It's really awesome. Congrats on the milestone!

    ReplyDelete