Sunday, December 28, 2014

Bareback Milestone: Riding Outside the Arena

I didn't have a lot of time for a ride this morning, so I decided to throw the bareback pad on and take Nimo for a short ride.  I debated about whether I should ride in the arena for safety reasons, but I finally decided to see what happened if we went down the road that runs through the farm.  It's about 2 miles to go out and back and I figured that would be about perfect for the time I had.  So, for our third bareback ride, we ventured outside the arena.

And it was great!  We just walked because the footing is really not good in most places.  Virginia mud is so slick, and I wasn't excited about trying to balance while bareback with Nimo struggling to keep his footing while trotting.  But, at the last minute, I asked Nimo to duck into the woods for our last few minutes before we turned around and headed back to the barn.  I expected that the trails in the woods would be pretty boggy and not that much fun, but there was a short, steep incline into the woods from the road and I was feeling brave enough to see how negotiating it with no saddle went.

It was surprisingly easy.  I didn't feel like I was slipping off Nimo's back and Nimo didn't have any trouble either.  WhooHoo!

I think bareback riding is actually starting to grow on me - thanks for the inspiration, Liz!

2 comments: