Sunday, December 14, 2014

A Ride by the Shenandoah

One of the places I ride at a lot is the Shenandoah River State Park, aka Andy Guest.  A friend and I met there yesterday morning to go for a relatively short ride and enjoy the slightly warmer, maybe even above 50 temperature.

This is how Nimo likes to show his love for me:

Muddy beast
I literally didn't notice how filthy he was when I got him from his field.  I was so distracted when I went to get him by the mud on his feet and legs that I couldn't wash off because it was 26 degrees outside.  I try not to hose his legs off when it gets below freezing because it seems a little mean and also because the hose can be a little finicky and I didn't feel like messing with it.  Anyway, when I unloaded him, I realized he was objectionably dirty.  Luckily, I got to the park a few minutes before my friend did, so I had some time to start scrubbing.  But WHY WOULD HE ROLL IN THE MUD WHEN IT IS SO COLD OUTSIDE???  I don't understand...

Once Nimo was slightly more presentable, we headed out.  There weren't any other horses on the trail, but we did meet a pack of mountain bikers dressed really colorfully.  Nimo is getting to be pretty good about bikes on the trails, but this group had him questioning their sanity.  Apparently no one should be wearing SO MANY DIFFERENT COLORS AT ONCE!

We encountered a few hikers too, but except for one biker who did not even slow down for us until my friend made it clear she wasn't moving her horse off the trail until he did, everyone was very polite and moved off the trail so they didn't scare our horses while we went by.  Nimo even tackled two of the three wooden bridges that are on the trail.  He is terrified of those bridges and typically needs to follow another horse, but we've been working on it and this time after he saw his buddy go over the first bridge, he was pretty good about taking the lead on the next two.

One of the offending bridges
We also took time to stop by the Shenandoah River and just hang out watching the water go by.  We like to speculate about times gone by and wonder how people decided to cross the river.  It's not huge at this point, but the current moves at a pretty good clip and it's hard to tell how deep it is.  I'm pretty sure I would have been the whiny settler who said things like, "Why can't we just stay on THIS side of the river?  Who cares if there might be better grass over there?"

Shenandoah River
It ended up being a nice relaxing ride and it was even sort of warm by the time we were done.  I also got the chance to try out some new hoof boots for Nimo, and I'll tell you all about them tomorrow:)

1 comment:

  1. Lovely trails!!! Also he is gorgeous even when covered in mud!!

    ReplyDelete