Monday, December 22, 2014

101 Apps for Schooling Inspiration

A few months ago, I found out that the 101 Dressage Exercises book that I love so much has an app for iPhones (I think there is also a version for Android phones).  I love the book, but it's kind of a pain to bring out to the barn and if I bring it to the barn, it ends up staying at the barn or in my truck and then I don't have it at home to look through for ideas before I go to the barn.  This app solves all that.  It is a bit pricey at $19.99, but it was worth it to me to have both the book and a way to remind myself of the exercises when I didn't have the book.  The only thing missing from the app is the intro and chapter narratives, which is not too big of a deal.  The narrative material is nice to read, but it isn't really necessary to use the app.

When you open the app, you get a scrollable list of all 101 exercises:


When you select an exercise, you typically get a total of 3 screens.  The first one is the diagram and the next two are the explanation.  It looks like this:



You can also scroll through the exercises when you're already in one.  So, if you want to find out what the next or last exercise is, you can just flick the screen sideways from any one of the 3 screens within the exercise you're currently in and you'll see another exercise.  It's a great way to scroll through the diagrams quickly.  I think there are probably some other sorting and organizing features, but I haven't used them, so I can't comment on how useful they are.  What is nice, though, is that you can also buy apps for 101 Schooling Exercises (different from 101 Dressage Exercises), 101 Western Dressage Exercises, and 101 Jumping Exercises.  I don't think 101 Lunging Exercises has been made into an app yet, though.  I think you're supposed to be able to set up all the apps using a central dashboard and then sort through them all, but that feature isn't something that worked for me (although I admit I didn't try very hard).

Like I said before, the price tag is a little steep for an app, but I definitely use the exercises more than when I just had the book.  On the other hand, I do love having actual books to look through when I reference them a lot, so having both the book and the app is working well for me.  For the budget-conscious and/or the smartphone addicts, the app alone will give you lots of inspiration without losing out on too much from the book.

6 comments:

  1. Wow. I kind of wish I had a smartphone. In the past, if I saw someone on her horse staring at her cell phone, I assumed she was checking Facebook. Now I guess I have to accept that it could be something better than that. I don't know how convenient it would be to constantly be opening the phone and scrolling around - it would seem easiest if you could attach the phone to your saddle/breastcollar, but then if you had an accident it might not be reachable to help you call 911. Does it tell you audibly what to do next so you don't have to constantly recheck or memorize?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't have an audio component, Lytha, although that would be super cool. I think the exercises are generally simple enough so that I don't have to recheck the pattern. Usually a refresher at the barn before I get on is good enough for me. But if you wanted to do a lot of them back-to-back, having an audio would be helpful.

      Delete
  2. I've picked up the 101 Arena and 101 Jumping hardcopy books couple months ago and debated getting this one for awhile. Ending up not getting it but sounds worth it though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like 101 Dressage Exercises better than 101 Arena Exercises, but that is probably just because of my dressage background. I think just having any book to help give ideas is helpful, though, because otherwise I get stuck just doing circles:)

      Delete