Sunday, November 30, 2014

December Daily

(Note to horse lovers, there is a horse-related point to this post, but bear with me for a couple of paragraphs!)

If you are an avid scrapbooker, you may be familiar with Ali Edwards' December Daily memory-keeping system.  If you are not an avid scrapbooker, I congratulate you on avoiding yet another time-consuming and expensive hobby!:)  Essentially, December Daily is a system in which you document one story (or more) each day from December 1-25 in a scrapbook album.  Some people add December 26-31 to their albums and others even start documenting at Thanksgiving.  The scrapbooking can be digital or the more traditional paper and the size of the album is typically smaller than the old standard of 12x12.  Other scrapbooking companies have come out with their own versions of December Daily and there is even a similar year-long scrapbooking concept called Project Life.

I tried the system last year for the first time with my daughter, Gemma.  I've always loved scrapbooking, and having a baby generates enough pictures to keep even the most prolific scrapper in business for the next century, which is a big problem.  Because when you have a baby, you don't usually have time to scrapbook that much.  And once your child is old enough to stand and walk, there are very few places for ongoing scrapbook projects that are safe from prying hands.  So, I've done some digital scrapbooking and tried to at least keep my pictures organized for future scrapbooking.  But, when I committed to doing the December Daily project last year, I was able to keep up and by the first few days of January, my December scrapbook was DONE.  Plus, I was able to upload the pictures I used to Shutterfly and create digital versions of the scrapbook for the grandparents and get copies to them by Valentine's Day.  It was such an awesome feeling to have an album that was truly finished and now we have a wonderful reminder of both our special Christmas-related activities as well as our routine life.

Anyway, I plan to do a December Daily album for my daughter again this year.  But, I got to thinking about another special "person" in my life - Nimo.  Having a blog has definitely allowed me to document many of our stories over the past 18 months, but my blog posts tend to be focused on bigger or more significant events. I thought it might be nice to record some of the routines that we have or even just smaller stories that normally wouldn't rate a whole post.  So, for the month of December, I'm hoping to be able to post something every day that is related to Nimo.  It might be just a picture with a caption or a quick journal-type entry, but it could also be a more significant event, similar to what I already post.

I'm really looking forward to capturing the little things this month and I hope you enjoy a closer look into Nimo's life!

5 comments:

  1. I LOVE this! I can't wait and I look forward to a daily Nimo post because I just love him. I used to scrapbook and I even tried digital scrapbooking, but I always seem to get too busy for it. I would love to see some of your digital scrapbook work! If I manage to find mine (my computer is so unorganized!) I will post them if you're interested. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely post a digital scrapbook page at least once this month and I'd love to see yours!:)

      Delete
  2. Scrapbooking is one of those things that I've always been drawn to, and I've seen such beautiful ones that were true works of art...and then I saw how expensive it can get and how time-consuming it can be, and I figured I'd just stick with admiring others' work! :) Can't wait to see yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love seeing this done with a horsey-centric theme! My mother does scrapbooks/memory art for a living, which means I'm around it all the time...and the best I do is sticking my ride photos on patterned paper. :)

    ReplyDelete