Saturday, June 7, 2014

Nimo gets a new bridle

Ever since last year's Endurance 101 Clinic, I've been drooling over the bridles at Taylored Tack.  One of the ladies at the tack booth had a couple of Amanda's bridles with the beaded browbands, and they were just stunning.  However, that beauty comes with a bit of a price tag, and I wasn't quite ready to give up on the Micklem Bridle that I was using and that Nimo seemed to really like.

Over time, though, I've noticed that Nimo's manners on the trails have improved and that his main issues  tend to be related more to going forward than to needing to be restrained, so I thought that maybe he would do OK in just a regular bridle with no noseband for our trail rides.  And I really liked the idea of having biothane tack because I totally suck at cleaning tack.  Having something that only needed to be wiped off with water seemed like a much better fit for my cleaning skills.  And then let's talk about the colors.  Living in the dressage world, where "color" is defined as muted gray, navy, and beige, the idea of having something with blue or red or green really appealed to me.

But there were so many colors and designs, that I had trouble figuring out what to get.  I knew I wanted something with a halter component so I could take off the bit at holds, but beyond that I was stuck.  Should I get the Ride - N - Tie Bridle?  Should I get a regular halter and headstall to wear together?  Should I get a halter bridle, which was basically just a halter with a browband and bit hangers?  Or should I get one of the sidepulls or hackamores with bit hangers and see if I could train Nimo to eventually be ridden without a bit?  And what about the overlays and the colors and the overlay/color combinations?  Gaaaa!  It made my head hurt.

Eventually, though, I was able to settle on something.  I knew I wanted a halter, so I started with that.  Then, I decided against having a browband, as mouth-watering as they look.  Nimo's forelock is pretty substantial, and I knew it would just cover up the gorgeousness.  Instead, I recalled my western pleasure days where I showed with a double ear bridle.  I still have the headstall because I love the double ear look.  I saw on the website that there was a one ear headstall, so I wondered if I could have a double ear halter with bit hangers.  As it turns out, the answer is yes.  I called Amanda, and explained what I was looking for, and she said she could do it.  Yippee!  The other thing I needed to choose was a color.  I already knew I wanted one of the overlays that Amanda offers for the ears and reins, and I just kept coming back to the Fire Dance overlay with royal blue beta as the base.  So, that was what I got.  And for good measure, I added in the Horse Shoe Brand stainless steel hardware for some extra bling:)

I needed to order the bridle in a custom size for Nimo's giant head, but I couldn't believe how fast Amanda made the bridle and shipped it to me.  I think the whole time from ordering to receiving it was about 2 weeks.  So without further ado, here's Nimo's fantastic new bridle:



I love that it is beautiful, functional, and ridiculously easy to keep clean.  We've done several rides in it now, and Nimo has no trouble with new headstall.  I still use my Micklem Bridle for our dressage work because I think the design helps stabilize the bit and headstall, but for trail work, I don't think we need that same level of stability.  And I never have to feel guilty about the noseband interfering with Nimo's ability to eat, plus the bit hangers make it easy to take the bit out and put it back on.  It is possible that a side pull or hackamore may be in our future, but I decided to get something that is closest to what works for us now and worry about making changes later as we get more experienced.  Now I just need to get a matching breast collar...:)

8 comments:

  1. Oh I love it! LOVE IT! I've got the same fancy stainless hardware and I think it's stunning with royal blue. AAAAAHHH Nimo looks amazing in blue! The double ear is a great idea.

    The only problem with biothane is that it never wears out or breaks, so you just have to suck up and buy new stuff when you've still got "perfectly good" old stuff. I just give myself one frivolous purchase per year. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My philosophy is that it's always good to have back-up tack,...right?:)

      Delete
  2. That's gorgeous! Amanda does such wonderful work...have a couple of her pieces and the wish list is never-ending. The bright blue looks so good on him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. He looks stunning in that bridle. Not that he wasn't gorgeous already! ;) The double ear idea is a brilliant: great way of having something pretty around the ears that can still be shown off despite a thick forelock!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a nice bridle! Love the blue! And I really like the double ear style, so hard to fins around here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have only one word -- WOW! The blue looks gorgeous on him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I somehow missed this post. He looks GORGEOUS in that bridle! That's the color I use on Chrome and I've always thought it would look amazing on a Friesian. It does! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I loved the color when we first got it and I think I love it even more now:)

      Delete