Wednesday, March 12, 2014

My version of the blanket clip

Last Saturday, temps were in the balmy 60s, and I could not take Nimo's filthy hair any longer.  So I used the time I normally would have spent riding clipping him.  Unusually, he has not started to shed yet, and I knew from the forecast that we'd be getting more crappy weather in a few days, so I didn't want to do a full body clip.  Instead, I did what I call a blanket clip (I think that "blanket clip" usually means leaving the hair just where the saddle pad is, but that makes no sense to me), but what it means is that I clip the area that the blanket will cover and leave the exposed areas with all their winter hair.  That way, on warm days, Nimo can be better ventilated, but on cold days, a combination of his sheet/blanket with his winter coat will keep him warm.

I tried to take a picture of my efforts on Sunday, when I was getting ready for my lesson, but the angle of the sun was such that you just can't see the clipping outline well (which might be a good thing, because now I can pretend that it looks awesome instead of like a beaver did it).  On the picture below, I drew lines that delineate where the coat is clipped.  Basically, I left all the hair on Nimo's neck, face, legs, and belly.


So far, the clip is working great.  We got minimal sweating during our lesson, and Nimo seems to be handling the cooler temps well with just a sheet.  I expect to have to put something heavier on later this week, but overall, I'm happy with the results.  I also got a chance to really scrub Nimo's skin where I had clipped, which was great, because there was so much dirt and scurf and other general yuckiness that I think applying some soap and water was a good thing:)

1 comment:

  1. Very clever! I agree with you: what is traditionally called a "blanket clip" never made sense to me either. He looks so shiny in the photo with his clipped coat!

    ReplyDelete