Monday, July 8, 2013

Conditioning Log

It recently occurred to me that I should start keeping a conditioning log to help me remember what I've done, particularly if Nimo is ever injured and needs to be laid off for awhile or if I take a break due to weather and I need to get back on track.  Because I'm kind of lazy, I did a quick internet search to see if I could find examples.  The one on The Barb Wire blog looked pretty close to what I was thinking, so I decided to borrow some elements as well as add a few of my own.  Here are the fields that I came up with:

Date
Workout Type (LSD, Arena, Interval)
Distance (mi)
Speed (mph)
Time (h:m)
Starting Temp (F)
Starting Humidity (%)
Starting Heat Stress Index
Ending Temp (F)
Ending Humidity (%)
Ending Heat Stress Index
Pulse after 10 min. (bpm)
Respiration after 10 min. (bpm)
Notes

This is an example entry in Excel.  If anyone has any suggestions regarding things that have worked for them, I'd love to hear them!

 

2 comments:

  1. I am astonishingly lazy, and I started with Tamara's excel spreadsheet like you're doing, but in the end the only thing I kept up with was GPS info from my Garmin. You don't need to rush out and buy a GPS if you don't have one. You can do the same thing for your shorter rides with your smartphone. Just pick a program (I'm on Strava these days) and upload all your data there, and eventually you'll have enough to draw conclusions.

    Just remember rest is as important as training - you have to let his body heal for it to get stronger!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually already have a Garmin GPS to track my miles. It's totally awesome! And no worries about getting enough rest (at least for the horse) - I'm lucky to ride twice a week right now:)

    ReplyDelete