Thursday, July 18, 2013

An accidental experiment...

If you've read any books on endurance riding, you'll remember that pretty much all of them caution against giving large doses of electrolytes straight in the horse's mouth because it reportedly causes a burning sensation, which can make a horse not want to eat or drink.  I sort of wondered how a person would know this.  Because, after all, what sort of person would give themselves a big dose of electrolytes just to see what it was like?

Ahem.  In other news, after a hot, sweaty ride the other day, I stopped by the grocery store on the way home.  I had a couple of things I needed to pick up, but I was also really craving salty potato chips.  And I was feeling too lazy to walk all the way to the chip aisle.  Luckily, Utz Salt 'n Vinegar chips happened to be on a display close to the entrance of the store, and I thought, "How could I go wrong with something that has salt and vinegar in the name?"  So I picked up a Family Size bag and headed to the check-out lane.

Back at home, my husband mocked me for buying such strange chips (his feeling, not mine).  I figured that was good for me because I'd get the whole bag.  So I opened it up and proceeded to start munching.  My husband, who is compelled to eat anything that he sees, decided to try a bite.  After a brief moment of contemplation, he pronounced the chips "surprisingly good" and forgot his earlier aversion.

However, it turns out that he has quite a bit more self-control than I do.  I literally could not stop eating these things once I started.  At one point, my mouth started burning and my lips felt like they were going to dry up and shrivel off my face, but still I COULD NOT STOP EATING!  Apparently, I don't even have the sense that God gave a horse, because I happily continued to eat my way halfway through the bag before I finally forced myself to stop out of fear that I might be doing permanent damage to my mouth.

And the next morning, I did it again.

And then I went to the grocery store and bought 2 more bags.  And I ate them.  Although I will say that I developed the ability to stop eating the chips before the burning sensation set in.  That is largely because my mother-in-law was visiting, and I try not to let my craziness show too much in front of other people.  So I pretended that I was a normal person, who could eat a handful of chips and then stop.  But she's gone now...

The moral of this story is that it is in fact true that when you eat too much salt at a time, it causes your mouth to burn.  And if you are a normal person, or a horse, that might make you not want to eat anymore.  But apparently, I am not normal, and I think it's about time I went to the grocery store again...


No comments:

Post a Comment