Saturday, June 15, 2013

Trail Ride: Whitney State Forest

Today I got together with a couple of ladies and we explored Whitney State Forest.  The park isn't that big - only 148 acres with a total of 6 miles of trails, but we managed to ride for about an hour.  The trails were a little less maintained than we were used to, but we were able to get through just about everything except for one section of the blue trail that had fallen trees that were leaning on other trees and we just couldn't get around them, over them, or under them.  But we did get to practice some more difficult terrain and a lot of small creek crossings.  My horse, who normally does creek crossings well, was concerned about several of them.  I'm not really sure why, but luckily another horse on the ride went through the crossings quite happily, so Nimo could follow.  The only thing I was a little disappointed about was the distance.  I had hoped to cover at least 5 miles and we only did 2.75 miles.  The terrain was more rugged, so I think Nimo still got a good workout, but I'm going to need to do a longer ride this week, if I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment