Saturday, June 1, 2013

Conditioning Ride - June 1, 2013

For the past several days, temperatures have been in the 90s with humidity to match.  Apparently, we're just skipping June and going straight to July on the weather front.  I meant to ride on Wednesday, but that was the first day of the heat and I thought I'd give Nimo a little bit of an opportunity to acclimate.

Because I'm going to a trail ride tomorrow, I normally would not have ridden today.  But because I didn't ride all week, I thought I'd better do a light ride just to make sure everything was in working order.  We just rode around the field and through the neighborhood for 45 minutes.  We walked the whole time except for a 5 minute trot workout over some gentle slopes.  We did get to practice maneuvering around traffic, though, because there were 2 yard sales in the neighborhood, so there were a lot of cars driven by people who had no idea that one should slow down and leave some room when passing a horse.  Luckily, Nimo is actually really good around traffic, so he was a trooper despite the ignorance of many of the drivers.

Usually Nimo handles heat pretty well, but he was dripping with sweat after our gentle ride and still blowing after almost 15 minutes of walking after the trot.  So, I hosed him off with cold water after the ride and used the hose/scrape, hose/scrape method of cooling him until the water was still cool when I scraped it off.  It didn't take too long once I started cold-hosing for him to cool down.  Then he got his typical post-ride snack of 1 cup CoolStance, 1 lb organic whole oats, 1/2 Tbsp Himalayan rock salt, and 1/2 Tbsp Azomite.  I had wet it down before we left and then added extra water to make it pretty soupy.  Nimo isn't good about drinking yet, so I wanted to make sure he got some hydration.

I'm definitely planning on bringing extra water for sponging tomorrow, and I plan to take it easy on the ride because the heat will still be here.

No comments:

Post a Comment