Monday, May 20, 2013

Introduction

I can't really explain the urge that suddenly possessed me last month.  I went from thinking, "Oh, I just got this great new trailer, so now I can go on a few trail rides this year" to "I need to prepare to ride 100 miles in one day."  It could be some sort of hormonal thing - my baby was 7 months old last month and maybe some hormone imbalance is to blame for this strange thought process.

It's stranger still because my horse is a Friesian.  Friesians are not known for their endurance ability.  In fact, I think they might be known as the anti-endurance horse.  Friesians are for parades and pulling fancy carriages and floating around dressage arenas.  Sometimes they do go out on trails, but only in matching polo wraps or boots.

And the ultimate in strangeness might be that not only is my horse a Friesian, he's really big (17 hands) and absolutely terrified of things like nature.  Although he might be more terrified of lawn chairs that have suddenly changed location from the previous day, domesticated fowl, and inexplicably-placed bags of mulch.

Yet, even after I read what I just wrote, my conviction is strong.  I am going to ride my big, black, ornamental, terrified of anything remotely strange or out-of-place, metabolically-challenged horse in a 100 mile endurance ride.  I have no intention of being competitive, but I do aim to finish.

This blog is about how I get to the end of that ride.

I'm not sure how long it will take me to get to that 100 mile ride, but my first goal is the 15 mile Introductory Ride hosted by Old Dominion Endurance Rides, Inc. on October 26, 2013.  There is luckily a clinic hosted by the same group on October 5, so hopefully, I will get some pointers at the clinic for the ride.

I've also been devouring every book on conditioning and endurance riding that I can find.  I love reading about the adventures and am gradually formulating a feeding plan and ride schedule.  I've actually already started with a couple of organized trail rides (my horse is much braver with a group) to start conditioning and to find good places to ride in the area.  I'll write about those rides later and post some pictures too.

In the meantime, welcome to my blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment